"My front-line trail": the 110th anniversary of the birth of Gennady Iosifovich Gеrodnik

Gennady Iosifovich Gerodnik was born on February 2, 1911 in the village of Osveya, Vitebsk province. In 1930 he graduated from the Polotsk Pedagogical College, in 1939-from the Leningrad University with a degree in mathematics. Before the Great Patriotic War, he worked in Mogilev as a mathematics teacher.

At the beginning of the war, he was evacuated to the East. Then G. I. Gеrodnik moved to Kirovograd to his wife. At the end of September 1941, after repeatedly applying to the military enlistment office, he received a summons, and he was enlisted in the ski battalion of the 280th reserve regiment.

Since February 1942, for several months, he and his fellow soldiers were in the so-called Lubansky "bottle", where every day the German units were drawn closer to the Soviet troops. Despite a serious lack of supplies and fatigue, Gеrodnik carried out attacks through the minefield. On one of these missions, he was blown up by an anti-personnel mine. After his injuries, Gennady could not leave the territory on his own. He was dragged by sledge to the shed in d. Olkhovka, which is 4 km from the minefield, then another 15 km on a cart was taken to the army headquarters. In the field hospital, he had his first leg operation. Gorodnikov was transferred to Tyumen hospital. For 200 days, he was under the supervision of doctors. After the final recovery, he returned to the front, but in another part. In the future, there was another serious injury, concussion and demobilization in 1947.

After the war he lived in Estonia, where he worked as a school principal and a teacher of mathematics. Garodnick decided to leave the memory of them fighting way began writing books in the genre of military fiction. In the second half of the twentieth century, Gennady Iosifovich often visited Polotsk, visited his native pedagogical school, took part in meetings with young people, as a veteran of the Great Patriotic War. Gennady Iosifovich Gerodnik died on February 15, 2000 in Keila (Estonia).